Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The "Just in Case" Gift

Visiting someone recently, I noticed a beautifully wrapped gift under their tree with no gift tag.   I commented on how lovely the package was and the host explained that it was a "just in case" gift -- a gift purchased in preparation of that unexpected need to produce a reciprocal gift on the spur of the moment.

I've been thinking about that gift today and have come to the conclusion that I won't be stashing any items "just in case".  I'd rather buy a deliberate gift for the people in my life that mean the most to me.  Yes, I may face an awkward moment when a neighbor that I have hardly seen all year arrives with a plate of unexpected holiday cookies, but that will be okay.  Maybe next year, I'll remember the gesture and will drop in on that neighbor with a bounty of snickerdoodles.  Who knows?  Perhaps I'll walk home with the "just in case" gift I'm sure to receive next year, and I may rethink my whole stance on the issue...

But for now, if you receive a present from me... you can count on the fact that I was thinking of you when I bought it.  Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!